National Licence Requirements

Mutual recognition for occupational licences in Australia

For licenced contractors registered in Australia, the following website allows you to identify the licencing requirements when operating in other states and the contact details of registering bodies.

Licence Search:

The arrangement covers licences issued to:

  • auto-gas installers
  • carpenters and joiners, bricklayers
  • electrical contractors
  • electrical fitters, lineworkers, and cable jointers
  • electricians
  • motor vehicle repairers
  • plumbers and gas-fitters
  • refrigeration and air-conditioning mechanics
  • restricted electrical licence holders
  • driving instructors, drivers transporting dangerous goods and explosives, passenger vehicle drivers, pilot and escort vehicle drivers
  • property agents, valuers and conveyancers
  • maritime occupations
  • gaming occupations
  • shotfirers and pyrotechnicians
  • pest and weed controllers
  • building related occupations

New South Wales - Department of Fair Trading

In NSW you require a Contractor Licence and/or a Qualified Supervisor Licence if you want to contract, sub-contract and/or advertise to carry out residential building or trade work. Residential building work refers to activities such as construction, making alterations, additions, repairing, or renovating a building or portion of a building used as a dwelling. It also includes work to other structures such as swimming pools and garages.

Qualification Requirements

Joinery Licence - Allows Kitchen / Joinery businesses to:

  • advertise their services
  • manufacture and install joinery work ONLY

Kitchen Bathroom Laundry Renovators Licence (KBLR) - Allows Kitchen/Joinery businesses to:

  • Advertise their services
  • Manufacture and install joinery &
  • Coordinate any relevant sub-trades i.e. electricians, plumbers, gas fitters, etc.

Licence Applications

NSW Fair Trading - Building & Trade Work Forms

  • Contractor - Individual
  • Contracator Licence - Company / Partnership
  • Qualified Supervisor Licence


As a Individual wishing to obtain a Joinery or KBLR Licence you will need to apply for a Building & Trade Work licence:

Company / Partnership Licence

As a director of a company, wishing you to obtain a Joinery or KBLR Licence for your company, you will need to apply for both of the following licences:

Mutual Recognition Licence

Mutual recognition is where any individual who holds a current registration/licence that authorises them to undertake their occupation interstate can receive a licence/registration in NSW for the equivalent occupation.

Please visit NSW Department of Fair Trading for more details: Interstate Licences

South Australia - Consumer & Business Services (CBA)

Licence Applications

For SA businesses undertaking trade work under Contractor or Sub-Contractor arrangements you are required to hold the following licences:

Mutual Recognition

Mutual recognition is where any individual who holds a current registration/licence that authorises them to undertake their occupation interstate or in New Zealand can receive a licence/registration in South Australia for the equivalent occupation.

Please visit SA Consumer & Business Services for more details: SA Mutual Recognition

Victoria - Victorian Building Authority (Building Commission)

Licence Applications

For individuals wishing to undertake Building or Trade work in Victoria, they will need to apply to be a Registered Building Practioner.

Information on becoming a Registered Building Practioner and Application Forms can be located at:

VBA - Industry & Practitioners / Becoming a Registered Building Practitioner

Mutual Recognition

Mutual recognition is where any individual who holds a current registration/licence that authorises them to undertake their occupation interstate can receive a licence/registration in VIC for the equivalent occupation.

Please follow the link to find out how to apply:

Mutual Recognition Application


In Queensland, individuals and companies must hold a QBCC licence to carry out:

  • any building work valued over $3,300
  • building work valued over $1,100 where it involves Hydraulic Services Design
  • building work of any value where it involves:
    • Drainage
    • Plumbing and Drainage
    • Gas Fitting
    • Termite Management – Chemical
    • Fire Protection
    • Completed Residential Building Inspection
    • Building Design – Low Rise, Medium Rise and Open
    • Site Classification

What carrying out building work means

Carrying out building work includes:

  • personally carrying out the work
  • directly or indirectly causing the building work to be carried out
  • providing administration, advisory, management or supervisory services for building work, including:
    • entering into a contract or submitting a tender for building work
    • offering (quoting and tendering) to carry out building work
    • taking payment or arranging payment of subcontractors
    • arranging labour or arranging and conducting on-site meetings and inspections
    • preparing plans and specifications
    • coordinating the scheduling of work for building contractors even as an agent for another person
    • obtaining engineering or soil reports, or arranging for certificates from Local government to be issued etc
    • supervising building work
    • providing advice or a report for a building
    • contracting for work as a subcontractor to a builder.

Sub-trade contracting

You are a sub-trade contractor if you work for a licensed trade contractor. You don't need a licence because the responsibility for the work is covered by the licensed trade contractor.

There are exceptions. Where the work is plumbing, drainage, gasfitting, termite management - chemical or fire protection, as a sub-trade contractor you need to hold an occupational licence. Where the work is for a completed building inspection, you need to hold a contractor licence.

You will also need to apply for a licence if you decide to contract directly with a builder or owner.

The downloadable Sub-trade Contractors Fact Sheet (PDF) gives examples of when a licence is/is not required.

License Classes

There are various classes of licenses available in the QLD system, each has its own limitations and pre-requisites:

And also further requirements if you are to be head-contractor:

For any further details please visit the QBCC website

Cabinet Making & Installation, and Joinery (incl. 2nd fix) is exempt from Registered Builder requirements in Western Australia. Other works require registration depending on the scope of the project, you can find a ready reckoner from the WA Government here for those requirements.


The ACT Government does not require licensing for Cabinet Making, Carpentry or Wet Area Work.


There are no licensing obligations for Cabinet Making manufacture or installation in the Northern Territory.

Any plumbing, draining, or electrical work must be carried out by a licensed tradesman. In the NT there is no registration for carpenters, painters, concretors or any other individual trade.

Builders registration is only required for work which increases the residential floor area of a site – for example, building a new house or adding a room to an existing one. More information on work which does and does not require a registered builder is available on the Building Practitioners Board website.

The NT has private building certification and a building permit must be issued before any building work is begun. Renovations to a kitchen/bathroom/laundry may require a building permit and plumbing, draining & electrical work must be done by licensed tradesmen.

Training Options for Licencing Requirements

For more information on the Qualification Requirements related to obtaining Trade Licences, visit our Training Page or contact our team at ACFA to discuss your training needs!!

ACFA Training Programs