Industry Licensing

Industry Licensing

National Licence Requirements

Industry Licencing is an important topic for all who work in our industry. ACFA has collated a number of resources to assist in navigating the requirements across Australia.

Click on the State below to find out more information regarding Industry Licencing for working in that state:


To work in some occupations individuals need to be registered and/or hold a license in the state or territory where they wish to work.

Each state and territory is responsible for deciding which occupations require a registration or licence and any associated conditions. Mutual recognition (MR) allows a registration or licence holder in one state or territory to receive another registration or licence in a second jurisdiction for an equivalent occupation

Further information on automatic mutual recognition, known as automatic deemed registration in the MRA, is available at the following state and territory pages:

New South Wales - Department of Fair Trading

In NSW you require a Contractor Licence and/or a Qualified Supervisor Licence if you want to contract, sub-contract and/or advertise to carry out residential building or trade work. Residential building work refers to activities such as construction, making alterations, additions, repairing, or renovating a building or portion of a building used as a dwelling. It also includes work to other structures such as swimming pools and garages.


Joinery Licence – Allows Kitchen / Joinery businesses to:

  • advertise their services
  • manufacture and install joinery work ONLY

Kitchen Bathroom Laundry Renovators Licence (KBLR) – Allows Kitchen/Joinery businesses to:

  • Advertise their services
  • Manufacture and install joinery and
  • Coordinate any relevant sub-trades i.e. electricians, plumbers, gas fitters, etc.



NSW Fair Trading – Building & Tradespeople Forms

  • Contractor – Individual
  • Contractor Licence – Company / Partnership
  • Qualified Supervisor Licence



As a Individual wishing to obtain a Joinery or KBLR Licence you will need to apply for a Building & Trade Work licence:


Company / Partnership Licence

As a director of a company, wishing you to obtain a Joinery or KBLR Licence for your company, you will need to apply for both of the following licences:



Mutual recognition is where any individual who holds a current registration/licence that authorises them to undertake their occupation interstate can receive a licence/registration in NSW for the equivalent occupation.

Please visit NSW Department of Fair Trading for more details working interstate and New Zealand



Individuals and businesses must be licensed as building contractors, including subcontractors if they run a business that carries out or organises building work:

  • for others
  • to sell or let land or buildings.

Sole traders normally apply for a contractor’s licence and building work supervisor registration at the same time as both are required to contract work.



Mutual recognition is where any individual who holds a current registration/licence that authorises them to undertake their occupation interstate or in New Zealand can receive a licence/registration in South Australia for the equivalent occupation.

For more details SA Mutual Recognition


For individuals wishing to undertake Building or Trade work in Victoria, they will need to apply to be a Registered Building Practioner.

Information on becoming a Registered Building Practitioner and Application Forms can be located at:

Mutual Recognition

Mutual recognition is where any individual who holds a current registration/licence that authorises them to undertake their occupation interstate can receive a licence/registration in VIC for the equivalent occupation.

Please follow the link to find out how to apply:

Mutual Recognition Application


In Queensland, individuals and companies must hold a QBCC licence to carry out:

  • any building work valued over $3,300
  • building work valued over $1,100 where it involves Hydraulic Services Design
  • building work of any value where it involves:
    • Drainage
    • Plumbing and Drainage
    • Gas Fitting
    • Termite Management – Chemical
    • Fire Protection
    • Completed Residential Building Inspection
    • Building Design – Low Rise, Medium Rise and Open
    • Site Classification


Carrying out building work includes:

  • personally carrying out the work
  • directly or indirectly causing the building work to be carried out
  • providing administration, advisory, management or supervisory services for building work, including:
    • entering into a contract or submitting a tender for building work
    • offering (quoting and tendering) to carry out building work
    • taking payment or arranging payment of subcontractors
    • arranging labour or arranging and conducting on-site meetings and inspections
    • preparing plans and specifications
    • coordinating the scheduling of work for building contractors even as an agent for another person
    • obtaining engineering or soil reports, or arranging for certificates from Local government to be issued etc
    • supervising building work
    • providing advice or a report for a building
    • contracting for work as a subcontractor to a builder.


Licensing requirements for a subcontractor vary according to the type of work being undertaken, and the contracting arrangements Click here for for further information


There are various classes of licenses available in the QLD system, each has its own limitations and pre-requisites:

And also further requirements if you are to be head-contractor:

For any further details please visit the QBCC website.

Western Australia

Cabinet Making & Installation, and Joinery (incl. 2nd fix) is exempt from Registered Builder requirements in Western Australia. Other works require registration depending on the scope of the project.  Click here for further information.


The ACT Government does not require licensing for Cabinet Making, Carpentry or Wet Area Work.

To provide a construction service in the ACT, you will need a licence click here for further information

Northern Territory

There are no licensing obligations for Cabinet Making manufacture or installation in the Northern Territory.

Any plumbing, draining, or electrical work must be carried out by a licensed tradesman. In the NT there is no registration for carpenters, painters, concretors or any other individual trade.

Builders registration is only required for work which increases the residential floor area of a site – for example, building a new house or adding a room to an existing one. More information on work which does and does not require a registered builder is available on the Building Practitioners Board website.

The NT has private building certification and a building permit must be issued before any building work is begun. Renovations to a kitchen/bathroom/laundry may require a building permit and plumbing, draining & electrical work must be done by licensed tradesmen.


For more information on the Qualification Requirements related to obtaining Trade Licences, visit our Training Page or contact our team at ACFA to discuss your training needs!!

ACFA Training Programs

Our Industry Partners